Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's in the New Justice League of America?
Let's play the game...

The beginning of Brad Meltzer's run on Justice League of America will be the choosing of heroes to become members of the new JLoA. Already definites on the team are the Big Three - Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Rumor points to a roster of ten. Who else?

My guesses: Superman, Batman, WonderWoman (obviously), Red Tornado (we've seen him on cover teases), Cyborg, Power Girl (Meltzer mentioned them as having very good odds in Wizard), John Stewart Green Lantern, Hawkgirl (matching sillouettes seen on upcoming covers), Starfire (Meltzer also mentioned a graduating Titan) and Mr. Terrific (who Meltzer just likes a lot).

While we wait for the first couple issues to reveal the full line-up... who do y'all think it will be?

Glenn
Well, to be honest, I really have no idea. I'd like to say Flash...because I'd miss him otherwise.

We all know Ollie won't be around... I think if you put him and Bruce in the same room right now they'd resort to violence.

Red Tornado is a very good choice. I wouldn't mind seeing Starfire.

I'll throw a couple of wildcards in and say Black Canary and Hawkman.
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
No room for Martian Manhunter? I must admit I have been letting my DC reading lapse a bit so i don't even know if he survived crisis! :p Wouldn't that make this the first JLA lineup without him?

I too would like to see the flash. I always prefered kyle as GL cos there was a great interaction there (in a similar way to Jordan GL and his flash) so maybe they can bring in a 'flash' that John Stewart can relate to better.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
I too would like to see Flash, especially since I haven't read many stories featuring Bart. And with him being the new Flash, it would give me a nice introduction to his character. I think Cyborg is a cool choice. He deserves to be in the big league after all these years. I'm not so sure that Green Arrow is out of the running. I seem to remember an archer being shown in silhouette on an upcoming cover.

As for my personal choices for the team...I have always been a fan of Firestorm, Dr. Fate, Captain Atom and Guy Gardner, but I'm pretty sure these are all left field longshots at this time. Something tells me that Glenn's list is pretty close to the real deal.
I don't think it's Ollie, I really don't. There are plenty of other characters out there who use bows...

I'd love to see Dr. Fate. That would kick ass, take names and go for pie afterwards!
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
I too would love to see a Flash, and no Martian Manhunter seems wrong - but we're not trying to fill our favorite line-up, we're trying to second guess Brad Meltzer. He has said, regarding these two characters, that he's not a J'Onn fan and that the only Flash with good odds to join is Jay Garrick, but he's not sure how long the powers that be will let him be around (!).

The absence of a Flash brings me back to the early days of the ressurected Red Tornado joining the JLoA. There were a few comments made that the Flash wasn't needed with Reddy around. The Christmas Key adventure that guest-starred John Stewart actually stands out in my memory in this respect.

And Local, J'Onn did survive Infinite Crisis, but he is also starring in his own series again, so the decision to leave him out may have been editorial as well as Meltzer's preference.

According to Meltzer in Wizard, Green Arrow has bad odds, but Black Canary has good - but to be on the team separately is unlikely - so he eliminated both. Meltzer did say he was a Hal Jordan fan but also that none of the Big Three would agree to having him on board. That's why I went with John Stewart.

Glenn
I like the idea of Guy gardner as 'replacement GL' though. How he was portrayed in JLA Classified (can't believe it's not justice league) was excellent - he was funny but proved he could take names and kick bottom when required. If they could bring some of that to the mix it would ensure some light relief in the stories too..

Glenn - I remember that Christmas key story, was pretty good as i recall, and yes Tornado would make a passable stand in for a flash. Has it been confirmed which WW it will be - Donna or Diana?

I also wonder if the female below the hawk figure on the teaser cover is Faith - kinda looks like her outline.

Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Arrow(Connor), Green Lantern (Hal? Guy? Kyle??? (although he doesn't need a ring anymore) too much hair to be John surely), Red Tornado, Hawkgirl, Cyborg/Captain Atom. The one with the long pigtail has me stumped.
[albumsig]6[/albumsig]
Local Hero Wrote:I like the idea of Guy gardner as 'replacement GL' though. How he was portrayed in JLA Classified (can't believe it's not justice league) was excellent - he was funny but proved he could take names and kick bottom when required. If they could bring some of that to the mix it would ensure some light relief in the stories too.. and of course he could work on his relationship with power girl

Glenn - I remember that Christmas key story, was pretty good as i recall, and yes Tornado would make a passable stand in for a flash. I can see maybe Zatanna in there as she is young (relative to the others and so can be related to by readers) and the team needs a magic base.

Has it been confirmed which WW it will be - Donna or Diana?

I also wonder if the female below the hawk figure on the teaser cover is Faith - kinda looks like her outline.

Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Arrow(Connor), Green Lantern (Hal? Guy? Kyle??? (although he doesn't need a ring anymore) too much hair to be John surely), Red Tornado, Hawkgirl, Cyborg/Captain Atom. The one with the long pigtail has me stumped.

I also wonder if any of the Elite will make it back to the main team?

No Guy. Guy Gardner is another hero Mr. Meltzer has expressed a dislike for. My guess is that Meltzer is an 'old school' guy like me and doesn't connect the original Guy Gardner to the jerk that emerged from Crisis in 1985 and went on to join the Giffen Justice League.

In the Silver Age, Guy Gardner appeared only once, in an almost imaginary story and he was portrayed as being possibly a better Green Lantern than Hal Jordan. It is later said he had a broken leg when he was needed and John Stewart was summoned. Little known bar bet winning trivia - Gardner is Jordan's replacement, and Stewart is actually Gardner's substitute, not Jordan's.

When Guy Gardner returned in the Bronze Age he was comatose from a car accident - meanwhile good guy Hal Jordan courted his girlfriend Kari Limbo and almost married her until Gardner woke up. This underhanded romantic stunt pushed Gardner over the edge into madness so Superman and Hal sent Guy to the Phantom Zone. Honest, I can't make this sh!t up.

There he sat until the Guardians freed him just in time for Crisis. And of course, after that he was a completely different person.

Justice League of America #110 is a favorite of mine. The first of the 100 Page Super Specs in the JLoA series, new costume for Reddy, first (and only for quite some time) appearance of John Stewart with the team, classic foe the Key, and of course the patented last minute save by the Phantom Stranger - it's as good as it gets! And I'm not even mentioning the classic JSA reprint where they take on juvenile delinquency.

As opposed to Guy Gardner, Zatanna on the other hand is a Meltzer favorite, so maybe.

Which Wonder Woman - Donna or Diana? Definitely Diana as of issue #0. Meltzer has even retconned her back into an original member, and verified the powerless white suit era in that issue as well. All welcome retcons for a change.

Ion (Kyle) is a possibility I hadn't thought of. Meltzer has never mentioned Faith that I know of. Based on the sillouette cover, Green Arrow (Connor) would make sense, and could the pigtail be a scarf? Maybe the Kate Spencer Manhunter?

The Elite? Doesn't look good on that one.

Glenn

*edited because somehow the whole message wasn't quoted... weird glitch...
The membership score so far...

[spoiler]Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Black Canary, Arsenal, Red Tornado, Black Lightning, Vixen, Power Girl[/spoiler]

And still only the first six are verified as members. Thoughts?

Glenn