Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fables
So, on a whim, I bought Thor the entire Fables graphic novel collection for the holidays. I just finished reading them myself and one thought crosses my mind...

WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T I PICK THIS UP SOONER?

In this person's humble opinion, it's the best book I've read in years. I've never cared about characters as much as I have these and I've never been sucked into a book the way I have fables. Blew me away!

Much love for Bigby Wolf and Boy Blue... very much love. Rose Red is kick ass and I'm partial to Prince Charming for being the swarmy bastard he is. Oh, and Frau Totenkinder is just MESSED UP!

Anyone else checked this out besides Thor and myself???
[albumsig]18[/albumsig]
My dear wife is right, and she is by no means exaggerating. In fifty too short issues, I have fallen in love with these characters like few others in my time as a comic fan. They are completely three dimensional and entirely engaging. Bill Willngham's writing is equal parts funny, exciting and tragic. And the art is top notch too. There have been a handful of artists over the fifty issues that I have read, but the most prolific of the bunch is Mark Buckingham. The man crafts a page like few others can. His story telling is flawless, his layouts are inspired and the attaention to detail that he gives every page is spot on. I have laughed, gasped and cried with these characters in the past couple weeks, and cannot wait for the next chapters in their lives.
Jonna has finished all of your graphic novels that you let us borrow, TMT and Chanty.

She enjoyed the hell out of them, and is now having the monthly comic pulled for her and has asked the comic shop to catch her up on all the issues that have come out between the end of your Graphic novels and what is out currently.

I just finished reading volume 5 and am impressed as well. I'm with you guys, WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS SOONER?!
When life hands you lemons, you gotta squirt lemon juice and life's eye and make it your B!TCH
[albumsig]29[/albumsig]
It's just one of those books that has gained momentum with each passing issue, and I think slowly but surely the comic book community is becoming more and more aware of it. It certainly skews a bit from our standard capes and cowls predilictions, but not so much that it requires a mutually exclusive audience. This is certainly a book that can be enjoyed by anyone, especially if you have seen a Disney movie or two in your life. It is a story that will shatter all preconceived notions of what a fairy tale character is, and what to expect when the big bad wolf comes huffing and puffing at your door.